Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Tel Gezer

    Our first tiyul of the semester took place this morning when we took a hike through Tel Gezer. For me this trip was a unique experience. In the past I have learned the stories of the Torah as just that, stories. Unlike our few previous lessons, this experience allowed us to be immersed in the story and everything it stands for. Just like the Canaanites did so long ago, we scouted out the land for the aspects that were the deciding factors of where to build a settlement back then. After finding their resources for food, water, defense, and trade, we took a deeper look at what made this civilization special. One thing that really stood out to me was how strategic all of their structures were. For example, when looking at their walls, it appears as if there were rooms built into the walls. Our discussion led us to discovering that in times of being attacked, the Canaanites filled these rooms with debris to prevent the enemy from entering. A normal lesson about old architecture would not have interested me in the slightest. However, seeing these structures up close and standing on the ground on which everything took place was extremely powerful.
    While applying for EIE I had the opportunity to talk to an alumni of this program. She told me a lot about Jewish History, a class I didn't think I would enjoy very much, but I was proven wrong. As she spoke about her experiences, one thing stood out to me. She mentioned their first trip and how it felt to really experience the things that they were learning about in class. Sure I was excited for new experiences and learning opportunities, but I wasn't expecting to have that kind of moment. Funny thing is, I just did on that same exact trip. Standing on top of Tel Gezer looking at the amazing view, it sunk in that all of Israel is my classroom for the next four months. I had the best time exploring the first of many historical sites to be seen this semester, and am beyond excited to see the rest.


No comments:

Post a Comment